This year I’m diving into my sewing goals with an easy, flexible list of nine things I want to make. If you follow my instagram stories you may have seen my list already. These are the things on the list:
- A separates dress just like this one. I love that the two pieces work together to make a really seamless dress-like look, but could also be worn as separates. The exciting thing about this is that it’s breastfeeding friendly, so I can make it and wear it now. (I have SO many dresses packed away.)
- A backpack with straps on the bottom to attach a rolled up blanket. When Henry and I go on outdoor adventures it’s nice to have a blanket to sit down on wherever we are, so I need a good bag to carry that can hold our snacks and blanket without getting lumpy and bulky. I don’t have a pattern in mind for this yet, so if you know of a good one let me know!
- V-neck t-shirts for the whole family! For Christmas I made Casey and Henry matching shirts with the promise that there would be more to come. Now we just have to hunt for the next excellent fabric to make them in! I’m thinking of branching out of knits into some linen blends.
- A swim suit is actually first on my list because we have a beach trip coming up and I don’t have one that fits me. I bought my pattern (Butterick 4526) and ordered my fabric this week, so I am on track to get this one done soon.
- More shorts! I had a lot of shorts making success last summer, and want to delve into shorts with a zipper instead of just elastic waistbands. It will be a good step toward pants with half of the fit issues to worry about.
- A rash guard for Henry was on my list but I’ve already found and ordered one on thred up and have nixed it from the list. Don’t worry, I’ve already made something to replace it!
- Leggings are my uniform. I have two new pairs that fit well, but I just know that by the end of the year they will be well worn and I’ll need a new pair. So sewing my own is going to be something I have to figure out.
- Overalls are kind of the same story. I have a pair that are fading fast. I like that getting a good fit is less complicated than with pants because of the looser fit. This is the biggest most challenging part of my list, but I think I can do it!
- I need a new sweatshirt. I have several that are super worn and should be gotten rid of. I need to make some replacements first though!
I’m challenging myself to avoid buying any new clothing this year. I want to make and or purchase second hand clothing only. (Except for socks!)